Glymm Mere Sergeantry Trials

dsc01096

That’s me with the red and blue shield at Glymm Mere’s Sergentry trials.  I fought well most of the day but in the mini tournament we had I ended up legging everyone I faced and getting killed by everyone I faced.  I think I need to keep my focus even after I’ve cut my opponents leg off.

~ Gerald

Glymm Mere Sergeantry Trials

Hopping Phules ~ The Baroness War

mirellaThis last weekend found the de Huntington family in the Barony of Vulcanfeldt, attending “Hopping Phules” ~ The Baroness War. vulkanfeldtbaronyof


We could not have asked for a more beautiful weekend for an event. We stayed in a hotel, not far from the site, which had a wonderful swimming pool that our entire family enjoyed. This was a great option for us, as it is still exceedingly cold at night. After driving over a snowy pass on our journey, we were thrilled for a Saturday with clear and warm skies.

 

molly-21

I was quite pleased with Molly’s new wool tunic. Although they are not obvious in this picture, there are gores inserted into the skirt section of this tunic which gave it a nice fullness and swing. And most importantly, it served its purpose by allowing her to run and play while keeping her warm.

cristiana-baroness-war
Mirella and Molly enjoyed playing with the other children, both at the established play areas and at the river which ran through the park.

Gerald spent the day at war – and he could not have been happier. 🙂

~Cristiana

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

garald-baroness-war-2

One Finished Cloak

mollys-cloakMolly’s circle cloak is finally finished, just in time for the Baroness War. What a relief!

After the appliqué of the crescent was completed, I sewed the wool to the red linen lining. Then the An Tir badge trim was added with hand sewing. This took approximately 4-5 hours, much of which was accomplished while crossing White Pass on the way to the Baroness War. The final detail was to add a small clasp.

It feels great to have this project finished. Now I just have to finish Mirella’s cloak.

~ Cristiana

A Circle Cloak

dsc010050004The impending tournament season has served as a strong reminder of our girls’ need for warm cloaks. Mirella’s previous cloak was a half-circle made from wool. This worked well, but I often wanted a bit more fullness for her. I felt that a full-circle cloak would possess too much material for active girls on the move, and so I decided to make Mirella and Molly 3/4-circle cloaks for this season.

After purchasing 6 yards of blue wool, I washed it on hot and then dried it, fulling it in the process. Then came the fun part. 

Drafting a circle isn’t too difficult as long as you can establish a center point and then use a tape measure and tailor’s chalk to mark out the circle. The challenge is to calculate the correct neck measurement.

So, I started with the basic circle equation: C=2πR.  I began by working with the neck measurement and calculating C (circumference). Because this is not a full circle cloak (but a 3/4 circle), it was important to take the measured neck circumference and then divide it by 3 and multiply it by 4. After that, I was able to insert this number into the equation and calculate the R (radius) to be used for dsc0100300031measuring the neck pattern.

Once I had both cloaks cut out, I cut out a matching lining for the cloak from red linen.

Currently, I am in the process of hand appliquéing the crescent from Gerald’s arms onto the cloaks. The crescents are made from two layers of white linen which I am sewing to the wool with the palestrina stitch.

I am anxious to see how this all comes together.

~ Cristiana